Sunday, August 31, 2008

GOOBER SAYS HEY!

Those of you who know me at all know that I'm a big fan of the Andy Griffith Show, or TAGS. There is a website called "The Front Porch", which is inhabited by the Porchsters, a group of people of wide interests and fields of endeavor. We include a couple of gospel singer/songwriters, some nurses other than myself, a pet groomer, an electrician, a goat rancher, several homemakers, teachers, and others too numerous to list. We have been together for a long time, and consider ourselves a family. We each have a "handle", something closely (or loosely) related to TAGS for the most part, but not entirely. One of our members goes by the name of Goober, and it is by that name that I shall identify him here.

Goober recently wrote a comment to one of my blogs, that of Sunday, August 3. He has been busy at the garage, and it was a bit belated, and then I was slow in finding it, but when I read it, I wanted to make sure that everyone else read it as well. So, for today, Goober will be a "guest blogger". I have copied his comment and will post it here for your convenience in reading it.

Thanks, Goob.

You pose the question "Have we forgotten about 9/11"? Sad to say I think the answer there is, YES! We've seemed to retreat as a people overall (I know there are lots who are still very much aware, I'm speaking more towards a prevailing sentiment) into the pre-911 days where we were sure that we we untouchable. Things that we saw happen around the world could never happen here. But we were wrong.

That morning caught us off guard and too comfortable in our day to day importance. The collective ego of the American public just couldn't comprehend that possibility that we'd be attacked on our own land. I'm not laying blame on any person or party for allowing it to happen. Though there were opportunities to eliminate the threat that Bin-Laden posed...if it hadn't been that day and at his hand...it would have been another time and another terrorist. It was inevitable, because we were asleep. We allowed an enemy to walk through our doors that we proudly wave open for the world, and strike without hesitation.

Now...America is back to dozing again. We're not totally asleep yet...but the head is bobbing. We've focused all that righteous rage that held us through those times, onto to making sure we don't offend anyone or 'over react' to a people and practice that fosters hate towards us as a standard. I'm not lumping all Muslims into this hate pool...that'd be silly. But there are absolute indicators that Muslim extremists are still up and active and ever growing in the diligence to attack again.

We're at a place where we're about to elect our next leader. I'm a supporter of Mr. Bush...not that everything he's done in office has been done in a way that I agree with, but overall I appreciate his commitment and heart to do the right thing. Our choices for this election are troubling. Mr. McCain has several areas where I agree with him...and I believe he certainly has the experience and smarts to lead us in a time of war. I don't believe he shares the convictions of our faith...not totally, and don't believe he'll be a President that will champion the same agenda as we expect Republicans to push. Not to say that it has to be an all or nothing, but there is a moral flavor that may not be as strong in him.

Mr. Obama...just flat out scares me. His mantra for change and delivering the hope so needed makes me uneasy every time I hear him. Many have been talking about him being the anti-christ and all that...I don't believe that, but I certainly believe that his views foster a rapid growth of the move away from Christian values and standing up for what we believe, regardless of whose feelings get hurt. He's also made it quite clear that his experience in leading this country through a time of war is weak. Yet...he maintains a healthy standing in this race...and that's troublesome.

While I appreciate the historic significance of him being the first black man to be in this position...that should not be why he's voted for OR against. It's wrong either way..and is racism no matter how you slice it. Votes should be cast on the experience and ability to lead, not the color of the candidates skin.

Have we forgotten? Yes...and it's going to be a harsh wake up call at some time. I agree with you...it's going to be worse. And while we're busy making provisions to not offend anyone, making sure we're allowing for all beliefs and celebrating everyone's values (except of course Christianity. Just say Howard Dean talking about the Obama camp reaching out to Evangelicals and "People Like That"), we're slowly letting the guard back down, and letting the trouble in the door.

God help us...

August 29, 2008 5:47 AM

1 comment:

Farrah said...

I love to hear what Goober has to say! He's right! We have forgotten. Thanks for sharing!
~Lucy